Thursday, April 11, 2019

School registrar named Staff of the Year


Congratulations to Shannon Fleming, school registrar with The University of Texas-University Charter School System (UT-UCS) district, for receiving the Staff of the Year Award! Fleming is in charge of two campuses in the district including the Methodist Children’s Home charter school where her office is located. The MCH charter school is on the Waco campus and operated in partnership with UT-UCS.

Fleming was chosen out of all staff members from 23 schools in the district which serves over 3,000 students. Recipients are chosen after nominations are received through a district-wide survey. Although several people were nominated this year, Fleming received numerous nominations from staff.

She was surprised in her office on March 25 by district superintendent Dr. Melissa Chavez and Fleming’s supervisor and PEIMS Coordinator Audrea Carmack with a certificate and bouquet of orange flowers.

“I was in complete shock to receive the staff of the year award for the district,” Fleming said. “It had me completely in tears. I work with so many amazing people and they are all deserving of this honor.  It just never crossed my mind that I would be nominated. It’s heartwarming to hear the things that my peers have said about me and how they feel about me as a co-worker and a person.”

Fleming has worked on the MCH campus for almost 21 years, first as an employee of MCH and then as a UT-UCS employee for the last seven years. In her current position as campus registrar, she is in charge of student records and transcripts. Michelle Arocha, executive principal at the charter school, said Fleming’s duties are crucial for the students and the school, and she does a great job at making sure they are all taken care of.
“Shannon really is the go-to person in getting student’s records,” Arocha said. “There are times when students have been in multiple schools before arriving at MCH.  Shannon tracks down those records from all schools so that we can make sure kids have accurate records. She is very precise and works hard to make sure that her schools are run accurately.”

Carmack said she appreciates Fleming’s dedication in doing her work.

“As her supervisor I just want to say Shannon is a great registrar and we love her here at UT-UCS,” Carmack said. “I’m so happy she received this award. She is always serving students and staff. She cares about the quality of her work and it shows in everything she does. I love calling Shannon because keeps a great attitude and her sense of humor always has me giggling!”
“I love what I do and honestly I just come to work and try to do my job the best I can every day and just take care of what needs to be done,” Fleming said. “That’s what we do. But with the great teams that I work with at UT-UCS and my campuses MCH and UHS each and every day, it’s not hard. We all work together to do what’s best for these kiddos and their education. That’s what it’s all about. I am so appreciative and thankful to be awarded 2018-2019 District Staff of the Year for UT-UCS.”


No comments: